Monday, September 20, 2010

Foundation Year- Part 1

When I first imagined writing a blog, I had at first, wanted to write a review of Stephen Frear’s most recent historic film, Cheri. But looking at photos from my foundation year at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, I realized that it would probably be more interesting and original to look back and narrate my first year abroad (am now in my second year BA), in 2008. One can easily watch a silly costume film, but reading about a random American girl’s experiences with the British Art Education system is probably harder to find.
                To begin with, I had already attended Savannah College of Art and Design for one year and had already completed my first year of a fashion degree there. Arriving in London, I felt pretty damned assured of myself and my drawing abilities. After doing a whole year of still lifes and color theory, I was ready to take on the school that produced the likes of McQueen and Galliano, right?
First day of foundation, I was shocked culturally, linguistically, mentally, and artistically. What! I’m supposed to use my left brain! Creative! I found myself in my free time creeping back to my comfort zone of copying pages from fashion magazines, proving that I could draw.  Being an artist isn’t about getting it 100% correct, ordinary college is for that, there has to be some room to make mistakes!  Or else we would all be copying pages out of Vogue.

One of the first projects, we went out on the streets of London to take pictures of city 'texture': decay, wear, and signs of time.



We then went back and worked together in groups, for quick (5 minutes) artistic exercises.


For the 'final piece' I decided to create a string sculpture within the boundaries of my room in halls.


Finding it fun to 'play' in it, I jokingly took photos. It became a set of sorts. Looking back now, I realise how all theatrical this whole thing was!



No comments:

Post a Comment